Sunday, February 19, 2012

Baking a cake

Cooking with children is such a great experience.  It's fun for everyone but also is a huge opportunity for learning.  As an infant, O sat in his bumbo or highchair and watched me cook and I would hand him pieces of food to touch or taste.  Now, as a toddler he is able to help me.  We have a routine in the morning where he helps to make his oatmeal (one day when someone can help me take pictures that early in the morning, I will post an oatmeal making entry).  He has learned the steps and is clearly quite proud of himself.

I wanted to make a cake for my staff after they had a particularly hard week so I enlisted O's help.  Here's how it went...


Collecting ingredients.


Scooping dry ingredients into mixing bowl.





Adding the eggs (we worked together to dump the contents of the measuring spoon into the bowl).


Pouring the water (I helped him lift, but he poured on his own).


Mix everything up.


Whisk.  Whisk.  Whisk.


So many areas of development are supported during a cooking activity.  Sensory, fine motor, language, math, science, sequencing, following directions, and many more.  It's really something I suggest every family start doing together at an early age.  

No comments:

Post a Comment